Tuesday, April 17, 2007

One of the Shooting Victims was Henry Lee of Roanoke

"The Roanoke Times" has just reported that one of the victims in yesterday's shooting massacre at Virginia Tech was Henh Ly, who went by Henry Lee. The son of Vietnamese immigrants was a 20-year-old freshman. He just graduated from William Fleming High School in Roanoke, where he was salutorian, last year.

Though I am no longer a newspaper reporter, I have to commend the staff of "The Roanoke Times" and other newspapers for their dedication to this story. I know  that reporters Todd Jackson and Ralph Berrier Jr., both of whom have written consistent, outstanding stories, have done a remarkable job with this delicate story. The photographers have to be praised as well.

I got my start in journalism at "The News-Messenger," a small bi-weekly paper out of nearby Christiansburg. Virginia Tech was one of my beats. One of the people I met was Nikki Giovanni, the legendary poet who is also a professor at Tech. She was one of the speakers for the memorial service today.

No comments: