Wednesday, April 11, 2007

"The Namesake" is a Must-See Film

While I was back home in Roanoke, Va., over the weekend, I had the chance to see the latest film from Mira Nair, a director who has made solid films both here ("Mississippi Masala") and in India ("Saalam Bombay"). She has also directed "Monsoon Wedding." Many of us devout cinephiles are in the opinion that "The Namesake" may be her best film yet.

It is a moving, well-acted film which spans decades and nations. Every character plays and every scene and even every image plays a key role in developing the multi-layered story. Nair also manages to balance a films with two povs........

She dedicated the film to India's master filmmaker, the late Satjayit Ray ("The World of Apu"). There is no doubt in my mind that if he were alive today, he would be proud of Nair and this remarkable film.

As a Turkish-American, I could definitely identify with the film's central statement about finding balance between where you physically live and where your heritage lies. But, it is a film that everyone can identify with.

Ironically, I saw the film as a second choice since the start time of another film at the Grandin, the Oscar-winning "The Lives of Others" did not coincide with my schedule. I understand that film is excellent as well, but "The Namesake" is certainly destined to be regarded as one of the best films of 2007.

It is also showing at another one of my favorite movie theatres, the Galaxy Cinema in Cary, NC (Raleigh).

Links:

http://www.grandintheatre.com

http://www.mygalaxycinema.com

 

 

 

No comments: