Friday, March 16, 2007

Wow- Winthrop Advances in NCAA Tourney

It may be the day before St. Patrick's Day, but it was not a lucky day for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish as they went down to defeat against Winthrop University, from Rock Hill,SC, just a few hours ago in the opening round of the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament in Spokane, Wa. The Eagles won the game 74-64.

For those who may have seen an earlier entry, my cousin Michael Dawkins, of Rock Hill, is an alum of Winthrop as is my mother Lila Sullivan, who lives in my hometown of Salem, Va. My late grandfahter Dudley Clarence "Doc" Sturgis (1914-1993) also taught at Winthrop for many, many years. Michael's younger brother Patrick will be attending classes there in the fall. And, my aunt Carol Cole of Roebuck, SC (have I left anybody out?) also went there.

But, Winthrop is NOT my favorite school from the Big South Conference. That distinction belongs to my beloved school Radford University in Radford, Va. When I went to school there from 1993-1996, we usually beat Winthrop. I used to call Mike and laugh in his face. It has been a long time since I've been able to do that. In fact, Mike usually does that to me now. The RU women's basketball team did defeat Winthrop at least once this year, but nobody seems to have noticed...........!

In other NCAA news, the alma maters of my late father Mehmet Gokbudak (1921-1983), and my sister and brother-in-law Lale and Matt Lovell of Longmont, Co., Virginia Tech, faces the alma mater of my cousins Brent and Kurt Gokbudak, both of California, which is the University of Illinois. The two teams meet later tonight. I should stay home at watch, but I am going to the movies. As it is, I don't expect my sister and brother-in-law to watch either. I think they are going to a MENSA conference this weekend..................:)

Tomorrow is my sister's 33rd birthday. If you want to send her an e-card, her email is tango74@aol.com

Actually, that is my email, but I can forward your card to her. And, since my birthday was just two weeks ago, you can send me a belated e-birthday card. I have not recieved any e-birthday cards so far, and I may be tempted to keep any e-cards you try to send to my sister!

According to an NPR email, the world's smallest St. Patrick's Day Parade will be held in Enterprise, Al, tomorrow. Perhaps, it is NOT raining cats and dogs ythere as it is here in Reidsville, NC. There will be a segment about that parade on the NPR show "Weekend America." I have one friend in Alabama, Ilhan Tuzcu of Tuscaloosa. I imagine he will have things to do than go to the parade! Perhaps, he is going to the MENSA conference too................

Links:

http://www.winthrop.edu

http://www.radford.edu

http://www.npr.org/

 

 

No comments: