Monday, March 19, 2007

My Rant (on "Borat") was selected!

It has been one of those "Manic Mondays," but I was delighted to see that "Film Comment" magazine selected my rant on "Borat," which I have chosen as my favorite film of 2006. Alas, the magazine no longer publishes rants in their print editions, but they are posted on the web site below:

http://www.filmlinc.com/fcm/ma07/readerscomments.htm

 

My friend Bilge Ebiri, a New York filmmaker, chose "Dave Chappelle's Block Party," a movie I'm hoping to see soon, as his favorite film of the year. I don't think either of us would have expected that those films would be the ones to top of our list prior to seeing them! I am still shocked how much I liked "Borat." The film is now available on DVD. The now-infamous rodeo scene in the film was shot in my hometown of Salem, Va.

Here is my list of top 10 films of 2006 as of today... it is always subject to change. the asteriks indicates films I have added since posting this list in January.

1. Borat

2. Little Miss Sunshine

3. The Departed

4. Three Times

*5. Tristam and Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story

6. United 96

7. Crossing the Bridge: Istanbul

8. Half Nelson

9. The Science of Sleep

*10. Flag of Our Fathers

(tie) "The Queen"

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Geez Tilly, LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE??  You fell for it?  The MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING of 2006.  Fun for grandmas and people that don't go to movies often.

And I found BORAT very disappointing.  Loved the ALI G show, but the film isn't half as funny as a standard episode of that.