Saturday, March 3, 2007

The Grandin Theatre to Screen "Phantom/Opera"

I must say as I recover from the passing of Ari, the beloved family cat_ a feline which even made the vet who had to put him to sleep cry, it is indeed good to go back to my favorite past time, which is- of course- tripping out on heroin (just kidding!). No_ I am refering to film indulgence/obsession. I have been a film fanatic pretty much since I saw a Charlie Brown movie at some theatre in Roanoke (perhaps the closed Terrace Theatre) when I was 3-years-old in 1973. In hind sight, my mother probably wished she had taken me to the circus that day instead. Roanoke may not be as hip as Austin, Tx., but Jason Garnett, the mgr. of the Grandin Theatre, has managed to bring some amazing things to the Star City. On Sunday, March 11, the Grandin will screen the classic 1925 silent horror film "Phantom of the Opera," which thankfully has absolutely nothing to do with Andrew Lloyd Weber (though the musical was alas inspired by this film). Adapted from a novel by Gaston Leroux, Lon Chaney Sr. stars as a mysterious figure who haunts the Paris Opera like a ghost. He is_ of course_ taken in by a gorgeous babe ala Norman Bates. And, all sorts of mischief ensues. I saw the film, which was also screened on Halloween night at the Carolina Theatre in Greensboro, NC, this past Halloween, at the Virginia Film Festival in Charlottesville some years ago. I don't recall the presence of a live organ though, but indeed a live organ will be accompaying this screening at the Grandin. Admission is $10, and there will be seance afterward.............:)
Other interesting films that will be special-screened at the Grandin, include "Fight Club," which will be shown at midnight on March 17, which will be my sister Lale Lovell's 33rd birthday. I mention that because Lale's favorite movie, "The Princess Bride," will be screened at midnight on April 28 at the Grandin. But somehow I can't see her flying all the way from Colorado for the occasion_ that's like something I would do!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, I forgot the link!

It is:

http://www.grandintheatre.com