Friday, August 18, 2006

Political News- George Allen and Joe Lieberman....

Ooooops! I just lost my whole blog entry. Well, those of you reading this may not have had time to read the whole thing anyway. In short, based on a personal experience I had in New Market, Va. six years ago when I was a reporter in which an Allen staffer grabbed my arm with force as I was talking to a Washington Post reporter while Allen was being interviewed by a DC tv-station, I am not surprised by what he said to a Webb campaign volunteer in Breaks, Va. near the kentucky border. The term 'machacha' was clearly a racist slur. The incident made global news as it was reported in the BBC. I first heard about it in the online version of The Washington Post. An African-American columnist from The Roanoke Times said the comments also stir past controversies including Allen's support for a Confederate Heritage Month when he was governor of Virginia.

 

In other news, fellow Turkish-American Cenk Uygur is among those grilling Sen. Joe Lieberman (D-Ct) for saying that 'terrorists would welcome a Ned Lamont victory in November.' I was actually hoping Lieberman would win the Connecticut primary to show partisan unity at a critical juncture, even though I strongly disagree with his views supporting the War in Iraq. But, after those comments, I am sure I would vote for Lamont if I lived in Hartford. Uygur was absolutely right to say that those comments were ones we'd expect to hear from someone like Dick Cheney, not a Democratic Senator.

Useful links:

 

http://www.washingtonpost.com

http://www.roanoke.com

http://www.the-youngturks.com (I hope that link is right)

Cenk Uygur's liberal talk show kicks Rush Limbaugh in the.......... and it can be heard live via podcast from 6-9 pm Mon.-Fri.

No comments: