Friday, August 25, 2006

Many Turkish Things in Raleigh area

I must admit to being very impressed with the Turkish community in Raleigh, NC and really the whole state of North Carolina. There aren't- to my knowledge- any other Turkish people in Reidsville, but it is amazing how much is going on elsewhere. For starters, there will be a fund-raiser for the group Bridge to Turkiye on Fri., Sept. 8 at 8:30 pm at the Art and Wine Gallery in Raleigh. The special guest will be Turkish instrumentalist Fahir Atakoglu, who performed an amazing fund-raiser in November of 1999 in Washington DC to raise money for the earthquake which devastated Turkey in August of that year. My friend Ismail Arslan of Greensboro has been very involved with this organization, and from what I've gathered they are involved with building schools in rural Turkey and other noble activities. On Sept. 9th, the Divan Cultural Center in Cary, NC, which is a suburb of Raleigh will start Turkish cooking lessons for $15/month. One can get more info about the sessions by emailing the Divan Center at info@divannc.org

 

Those who want more info about the fundraiser can email me at tango74@aol.com

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alas, as luck would have it, I could not make this event. I really wanted to be there. I hope it went well. I have the sincerest admiration for the great Turkish musician Fahir Atakoglu. I hope everyone there in Raleigh had a great time, and that a considerable amount of funds were raised for Bridge to Turkiye. Their web site is
http://www.bridgetoturkiye.org