Sunday, February 19, 2006

College basketball round-up-kudos to Engin Atusr!

I thought I would congradulate my friend Engin Atusr, a basketball player for North Carolina State, for playing an outstanding game against Virginia Tech and defeating the Hokies in Blacksburg. I had entertained thoughts about going, but the game was on tv and I had decided to go contra dancing in Blacksburg (an hour away) later in the evening. The Wolfpack won 70-64. Obviously, Atsur's basketball is better than my contra dancing! Since my sister Lale and her husband Matt Lovell are alums of Virginia Tech, rooting for the other team seems a bit awkward but well, I went to Radford University anyway.

Speaking of which, the RU Highlanders won a big game with our arch-rivals from Lynchburg, the Liberty Baptist Flames- a school which is run by the Rev. Jerry Falwell. Is he the one who issued the fatwa against Venezuelan President Hug Chavez- just kidding! Anyway, the Highlanders won going away 69-54. This game was also on tv- well, regionally....

And, lastly, alas the Roanoke College Maroons lost their ODAC conference game against Hampden-Sydney by a 68-58 count. Their coach Page Moir was extremely gracious to me as I am researching a screenplay project that involves Division Three basketball. Of course, as a good friend of mine suggested, I need to get with the program as far as that is concerned!

If anyone else has an interest in Div. III hoops. They can check out the web site:

http://www.d3hoops.com

 

Alas, my second alma mater,  Hollins University, the women's college (I took a graduate program which is co-ed in case anyone is wondering if I've had a sex-change. For the record, I'm a male), is at last report still winless this year. But, as captain for the fictional men's team, I can profess that well we didn't do much better.

But, they are a good school, with only a slightly inflated ego.

Their web site

http://www.hollins.edu

 

No comments: