Thursday, December 22, 2005

Christmas postcard from 1926- a simpler time

I must profess that Christmas is NOT my favorite time of the year. I think religious conservatives have overpoliticized it (especially this year), and Shopping Mall, Inc. has commercialized it to the point where reverting it back would be like to trying to find a virgin in a Parisian brothel. It is also a time of great misery for people of other faiths, which would not be so bad if more of us invited our Vietnamese neighbors to our Christmas table but it rarely seems to happen. There have also been more executions in December than any other time of the year, and that has been true for several years now. And, divorce and suicide rates tend to be higher now most other times fo the year, and this is also a time when a lot of people are laid off from their jobs. But, ironically, I must agree with conservatives that perhaps Christmas was a more charming affair many decades ago though we were stilly dealing with cultural demons like segragation and racism. Nevertheless, I think all of us wish for that Norman Rockwell Christmas painting for ourselves with Gene Autry's "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer' in the background. Though, Christmas is a time of the year which can at least momentarily bring families together. And, I suppose there are moments when all of us find that.Rockwell moment, however fleeting it may be.

 

With that in in mind, I will share this Christmas postcard I found. It is postmarked Dec. 22, 1926 and it was sent Miss Edith Forbes in the Southeastern part of Roanoke, Va.- my hometown. I don't have to equipment to actually download the front of the card but it contains two little girls lying in bed with Santa perched behind their bed-post. It is a rahter large bed, and the girls are dressed in white gowns which give them an angelic look. Santa has some kind of doll hovering on top of a bag of toys. The front says:

Hearty Christmas Greetings

I wish you a bright Christmas Just filled with pretty things And hope you will be happy With everything it brings

The back has a pencilled message from Lillian Hall which reads:

Wish you a Merry Xmas and Happy New Year With Love, Lillian Hall

It has a 2-cent stamp on its back

 

I hope everyone finds that Rockwell moment either for Christmas, or for New Year's Day. I know I am looking for it, but at the moment it seems very far away. 

No comments: