Thursday, May 12, 2011

Status Update- I Really Need to Shave




I am actually a man, but when I stumbled upon this image, I knew it would fit in perfectly with the blog. Originally, I wanted to have an image of a man with a very long beard but they either looked like Charles Manson or Osama bin Laden, or on the other end of the spectrum Jesus Christ.

Though apparently it is hard to get one here in America, the Turkish shave seems to be somewhat popular in London. There is, in fact, a Youtube video of a man from England getting an authentic Efe Turkish shave.

I got one such shave, which involves a long straight razor, at a barbershop in Buyukada (an island near Istanbul) when I was in Turkey. My skin sure did burn! The Turkish shave was at its peak in Ottoman times, but it is relatively easy to get one today in Turkey too.

SIDEBAR: I heard the song "Fooled Around and Fell in Love" on the radio today. It dawned on me that even though I had heard the folksy pop ballad at least 250 times, I had no idea who really sang the song. From Google, I learned it was in fact from Mickey Thomas along with the Elvin Bishop Group, and that the song came out in 1976. Thomas went to become a member of Starship, and he helped to destroy one of the best rock bands of the '70s (the group was first called Jefferson Airplane, then Jefferson Starship). Oh, great, "We Built This City" is now ringing in my head as we speak!

No comments: