Friday, May 27, 2011

Amadeus in Bethesda- DC Metro People




One of the most unique aspects of traveling in Washignton, DC, is actually the people you see on the DC Metro system. The rail passage stretches from Vienna, Va., to New Carrollton, Md., and that's just the orange line!

One of the people who must stood was a Hispanic man in his early 20s with a huge afro and a blue sleeveless t-shirt. He honestly reminded me of a character you would see on the '70s sitcom "Chico and the Man," and I thought to myself if a man has traveled to the future from 1977, this is surely him. I think H.G. Wells would have agreed! The only think that would separate him from someone from the disco era is that he did have an I-Pod. We have to wonder if he was listening to The Bee Gees.

But, the DC Metro is most notorious for the annoying young couples who board the train. My personal favorite was a couple. Both the boy and girl had blonde hair. I'm guessing they were between 19-22. They sat right in front of us. And, if it weren't for the fact that they did actually communicate to each other (without ever looking at each other) I would have sworn they actually life-size Ken and Barbie dolls with batteries in the back of their necks. They did smile the whole time. And, they held hands. He had a rugby shirt. She had white tennis blouse, a large matching pocketbook and leather sandals. Yes, they were that stereotypical. It was really a stunning sight to behold.

There was also an annoying Hispanic couple who were somehow making out while holding the pole in the center of the train. I forget what the guy looked like, but the girl had a green sundress and flip flops. They seemed to really, really like each other. I was so glad they got off the Metro before we did!

If you want to see some amazing photos of people on the DC Metro, we recommend the site dcmetropeople.com

I was thinking it would be great to write a book about people who ride the DC Metro, but the photographers who take mostly black and white photographs capture these people, their idiosyncracies (gosh, that is a hard word to spell) and their fashion splendidly well. Of course, I am jealous of them too!

No comments: