Saturday, May 21, 2011

Quote of the Day- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart




We are hoping to start a series of blog entries about my 36-hour trip to Washington, DC, and hopefully, when I can get around to it at some point next week, I will remember the annoying cute young couple who did look a real-life Ken and Barbie. Their mutual lack of communication made me also wonder if they had batteries in their necks.

I also saw this supposedly-Hispanic guy who looked like he journeyed forward in time from the set of the 1970s sitcom "Chico and the Man." I saw all three of these people on the DC Metro, and the supposedly-Hispanic guy in his early 20s had this huge Afro which might well be a nuisance at the Kennedy Center.

We are going to entitle our series "Amadeus in Bethesda" because the Roundhouse Theatre in Bethesda, Maryland, is performing the famed Peter Shaffer play. The production will be helmed by Mark Ramont, and the cast features Edward Gero, Sasha Olinick, Floyd King and Laura C. Harris. It runs through June 5.

Shaffer is still alive and well as he turned 85 on May 15.

WETA-FM, the Washington DC area's main classical music station is focusing on the music of another great composer Gustav Mahler until the end of the month, but we imagine they will play a fair share of Mozart music as well.

We leave you with this quip from the great Austrian composer Mozart (1756-1791) who alas died way too young:

"I thank god for graciously granting me the opportunity of learning that death is the key which unlocks the door to our true happiness."

No comments: