Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Silly Photo to Fill Space- Camels




Since the state of North Carolina passed a smoking ban which went into at the start of the year, we thought we'd go with some silly images of camels today.

The city of Winston-Salem, NC, is still called Camel City because Camel Cigarettes were made there. The city is home to Wake Forest University, and the historic/tourist site Old Salem.

Cartoonist Garry Trudeau brilliantly lampooned the company's mascot Joe Camel during the 1980s in "Doonesbury."

The product was also made with tobacco from Turkey, my late father's home country.

Interestingly enough, Turkey- a country where 90 percent of the population once smoked is seeing a smoking ban in cafes, bars and restaurants as well! As "The Atlantic" reported last year, the transition has been a difficult one. I saw a bus driver smoke while I was on a bus from Istanbul-Ankara. No one is supposed to smoke on Turkish buses, but I guess 'sofor bey' (Mr. Bus Driver) thought no one would notice. But, I think everyone on the bus, including myself, did!

No comments: