Tuesday, February 6, 2007

I Publicly Criticized NC State Bill About Film Shooting

Though much of my life revolves around Virginia, I am a resident of North Carolina. My letter-to-the-editor concerning a proposed revision to the Tarheel State's incentives program for filmmakers was published in the Feb. 4 edition of "The News-Record," Greensboro's daily newspaper. In my letter, I openly took issue with 'my own' state sentator Phil Berger (R).

In a Jan. 28 "News-Record" article, Berger said that the current rules need to be tightened because of the uproar over the independent film "Hounddogs," a movie that was filmed along the Carolina coast.

"Hounddogs" has recieved considerable coverage as there is a scene simulating the rape of a 12-year-old girl played by Dakota Fanning ("War of the Worlds"). The film, which was screened at this year's Sundance Film Festival in Utah, has been the subject of many news articles and blog entries, including one posted by friend Bilge Ebiri, a New York film critic/filmmaker.

In the Jan. 28 "News-Record" article, reporter Taft Wireback said critics feel that Bereger's proposal could have a 'chilling effect' on the statewide film industry. It would go so far as to require a government official (bureaucrat) would have to actually preview scripts for every film project seeking to reap 15 % of in-state production costs.

The Tarheel State has made an estimated $7 billion from more than 800 movie productions, as well as 14 network and cable series, such as "Dawson's Creek."

In my letter-to-the-editor, I made the following comment:

"I think Berger, who represents my jurisdiction, and people who support his measure have casually overlooked the economic impact of films like "Junebug," "Bull Durham," and "Nell," all of which were shot here. There's no need to take extreme measures over one scene in one film ("Hounddogs").

Berger's son, Phil Berger Jr., was recently elected as Rockingham County's district attorney.

I plan to further voice my stern opposition to Berger's measures. The conservative state senator has also been trying to remove doctors from the state's execution chamber at Central Prison in Raleigh. So, it seems there will be other things that I strongly differ with regarding his legislative agenda.

Berger is the minority leader in the state senate.

Needless to say, I did NOT vote for him this past November. 

Links:

http://www.news-record.com

No comments: