Saturday, January 7, 2006

Web site memorial for Richmond family

As a capital punishment opponent, I am sometimes asked if I care 'about the victims as much as the criminals.' I think such questions are ridicilous. I strongly feel that people who have not committed homicidal acts have been put to death, and in a civilized society that is something that remains morally unacceptable to me. Recent reports indicate that men from San Antonio and St. Louis respectively were put to death for crimes they did not commit. However, I must profess that there are times when I understand how the other side feels all too well and I know for such reasons it would be easier to oppose capital punishment in Norway than it would be here.

The brutal murders of Richmond musician Bryan Harvey, his wife Kathy and their two daughters, on New Year's Eve is one such instance where I realize why we are alas in the minority.

Two men were arrested in connection with these heinous crimes in Philadelphia. The local police in Richmond are reportedly giving few details. The suspects are also believed to have killed three other people in the Richmond metro area.

The Richmond-based record chain Plan 9 has set up a web site memorial to the Harveys. Bryan Harvey was a folk singer in the band House of Freaks, which released five albums.There was a funeral service for the family at the historic Byrd Theatre in downtown Richmond today. Kathy Harvey owned a boutique shop in the Carytown section of town.

My heart certainly goes out to them.

Anyone wishing to send their condolences can log onto

http://www.bryanandkathymharvey.net

 

Update: I guess this is indicative of some of the sad elements of our society. People on a Yahoo! web posting about the tragedy are trying to politicize this matter by saying things like:"How do you libs feel about the dp now?" And, because the suspects are presumingly African-American, others have added racist posts including heinous statements such as "No blacks live in my neighborhood.' All of this not only makes me sick, but it shows that none of these people are thinking about the Harvey family or their surving family members at all. For my part, I know these views are not indicative of everyone who differs with me over the controversial death penalty issue but unfortunately, it is a disturbing aspect nonetheless.

 

No comments: