Friday, January 2, 2009

First Line of a Novel (4 of 11) from Nick Hornby






Since the electric bills for those front-yard Christmas lights come in January, this month is reportedly notorious for higher suicide rates.

Hence, we are including the first line of Nick Hornby's 2005 novel "A Long Way Down," which consists of character who each want to 'exit stage left,' as our latest entry in this series:

"Can I explain why I wanted to jump off the top of a tower block?"

In order to avoid a lawsuit from Mr. Hornby, which might lead to me standing on a ledge, I advise you to read the other 333 pages yourself.

And, if you are actually considering suicide, there is always save.org

Hopefully, someone there can help you more than I could!

Lastly, the image used in this entry is from the classic Harold Lloyd film "Safety Last." It is quite funny, and perhaps if you are very depresses, you should consider adding it to your Netflix que!

Hmmm....that reminds me a dvd of the Nazi Holocaust drama "Sophie Scholl" is awaiting me when I get home.

No comments: