Monday, November 6, 2006

U.S Senate Predictions.....I'm a Bit Nervous.........

One might imagine that a political independent who votes for Democrats 99 % of the time such as myself would feel very confident given all the current poll numbers. But, both Al Gore and John Kerry were reportedly going to win on Election Day, and it's been a long time since John F. Kennedy edged out Richard Nixon in 1960. Nevertheless, I hope we can party 'like it's 1994' tomorrow night. I feel confident that the two U.S Senators I most disdain Sen. George 'Maccacovitz' Allen (R-Va) and Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa) are both going down. But, I am afraid that the ultra-corrupt Sen. Conrad Burns (R-Mt) will once again barely prevail mainly because Montana is heavily Republican and Burns has been in the Senate for a long time. Here are my predictions...to save time I will mention the party of my projected winner as opposed to mentioning the candidates' name, except in a few circumstances.

While the first few projected winners will be Democrats, you will notice a gradul change as you scroll down. These are not all the races, but most of them.

1)Virginia---

Democrat JAMES WEBB (my biggest regret about moving to NC is not being able to vote for him...I hate Allen that much)

2) Maryland-

Democrat

3) Rhode Island-

Democrat- just barely

4) Pennsylvania

Democrat- bye Rick!

5) Conn-

the Lieberman Party

6) Ohio-

Democrat

7) Michigan-

Democrat

8) NY-

Democrat- Hillary, of course

9) Tenn-

Republican Bob Corker will barely prevail over Harold Ford Jr. I hate to see a pro-Turkish Democrat lose, but I can't see good ole boys voting for an Afr-American

10) Florida-

Democrat

11) WV-

Democrat.. Sen. Robert Byrd (D-WV) stands to surpass Strom Thurmond as the oldest U.S. Sen. ever

12) NJ -Democrat Bob Menendez will prevail in a tougher than expected race.

12) Montana-

Republican

13)

Arizona-

Republican- arch conservative Sen. John Kyl is expected to barely prevail her

14) Missouri- Alas, I think Sen. James Talent will hang on and this will just prevent the Democrats from overtaking the Senate.

With a possible Lieberman defection, it may not matter anyhow. I also think Democrats will prevail in Minnesota and New Mexico. I believe I've included all the competive ones as well as some which may be closer than expected.

 

In spite of my slight pessimism, I am still expecting major gains in the House. I sense that the Democrats will definitely get at least 20-25 seats for a comfortable takeover. Of these candidates, I hope Cong. Marilyn Musgrave (R-Co) is among those who will need to take one last trip to the Lincoln Memorial.

There are needless to say some good moderate Republicans, such as Sen. Lincoln Chaffee (R-RI), who stand to lose because of the GOP's move to the fringe far-right.

All in all, it should still be a good night. And, all of us in the Virginia disaspora should be thankful that George Allen made his grand maccaca gaffe near the Virginia-Kentucky border, back in August. He should now have plenty of time to watch football games and munch on potato chips..........which is what he should have been doing all along!

 

 

No comments: