Sunday, September 3, 2006

A poem by Andrew Hudgins about.... eating.....

I have wanted to post a poem on this blog for this longest time. I thought about posting the only real poem I've written "The Girl from El Paso," but it is perhaps too long and I am no Robert Frost. I've also thought about posting a poem from my friend Kammal Ayyildiz who is a poet, but his book of poetry "The Cistern" is at my mom's house in Salem, Va. But, I think I've found one which was published in the Spring 2005 Food issue of "Oxford American." This entry will be the first of my food trilogy. Stay tuned.....

 

Here is "Unfilled Desire" by Andrew Hudgins. I suppose since this blog is not a magazine, and I am not making one dime of it- he can't sue me!:)

 

UNFILLED DESIRE

by Andrew Hudgins

When I was just a boy

my deep, unfilled desire

was eating chocolate icing_

all I could acquire

But mother only let me

scrape the batter bowl

and that was not enough

to glut my greedy soul.

I yearned to make a batch

of double cookie fudge

and spoon it in my mouth

until I couldn't budge.

But now that I am twenty,

in bars and drinking beer,

I ask for Miller Lite

because my friends would sneer

at what I really want.

It wouldn't wow the chicks

if I ordered up a bowl

and a box of brownie mix.

 

Oxford American is a quarterly collection of Southern literature and journalism, published in Arkansas. Their web site is http://www.oxfordmag.com

Ironically, Andrew Hudgins, author of "Ecstatic in the Poison," lives somewhere in Ohio.

No comments: