Friday, September 29, 2006

"Half-Nelson" opens at Grandin Theatre in Roanoke

Hi again. It has been a while. I now live in Reidsville, NC, and work in Danville, Va. My cousin Mike Dawkins, who lives in Rock Hill, SC, and works in Charlotte, NC, probably understands how surreal it is to live in one state work in another; but, it alas proves that the old cliche about being two places at once in sadly true. Case in point, the highly-regarded independent film "Half-Nelson" is showing at the Grandin Theatre in my hometwon of Roanoke, Va., and the Chelsea Theater in Chapel Hill, NC. It looks like I can not go to either place- this weekend- but, I would like to suggest that anyone who reads this in either of those two areas try to check out this film. In a review by Melissa Anderson of "Time Out New York," which was published in the July/Aug. 2006 issue of "Film Comment," she states that "Half-Nelson" is a memorable fim. She adds that it is an extension of director Ryan Fleck's short "Gowanus, Brooklyn" (2004) and that "Half-Nelson" is never cluttered with the 'each one, teach one' sappiness seen in Hollywood films like Michelle Pfeiffer's "Dangerous Minds." Anderson also credits stars Ryan Gosling who gave a striking performance in "The Believer" (2001) and Shareeka Epps for a profound film which is 'no one-note redemption song.' Anderson says that the film is about an intergenerational, platonic relationship in which the two lead characters Dan and Drey learn to take care of each other.

With this and the last two blog entries, some of you may be outright shocked to learn that I am actually more into theatre than films days. But, to me, this is very much like trying to to decide if one should go out with Rosario Dawson or Scarlett Johansson- though, assuredly, if I were dating either of them I could probably stay at home, watch reruns of "CSI: Miami" and be happy........! Nevertheless..........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whew! I thought I was going to get booted......, so I did not add a link to the Grandin Theatre in Roanoke- which is:

http://www.grandintheatre.com