Monday, March 6, 2006

March of the Penguins????!!!!! NO!!!!

I am going to submit one of my shortest blog entires in recent memory (well, ok- maybe not!). Time is getting more precious these days. Yes, I know I can't believe I'm saying such a thing either! Anyway, there will several surprises at last night's Oscars. I watched them at the Grandin Theatre, here in Roanoke. I have not seen "Crash," but I was stunned that a film which had lost the best picture award to "Brokeback Mountain" at both the Golden Globes and the British Academy Awards (not to mention the indepedent Spirit Awards, for which Paul Haggis' film about racial tensions wasn't even nominated!) somehow came away with the Oscar! I guess someone got keys to a new Toyota. But, I was rooting for "Capote" anyway! The real stinker though was seeing "March of the Penguins" win the best documentary Oscar. It is a nice little nature  movie, but certainly not nearly as moving or  as gripping as "Murderball." There was an even nature doc that came out this year. It was Werner Herzog's "Grizzly Man," but that film about a man who wants to live among grizzly bears in Alaska (a very bad idea) wasn't even nominated though it was chosen as the best film of the year (feature and docs) in a "Premiere" magazine critics' poll. It should be pointed out that in that same poll, "Crash" ranked #60, just ahead of "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" with BRAD and ANGELINA!!! How come they weren't nominated?!..............that is a joke........

No comments: