Saturday, July 10, 2010

Leftover Files- Strasburg Va. is NOT Going to Name Town After Pitcher




In a story we've been meaning to post for several weeks, but since our focus was on The World Cup, we never 'round to it, the town of Strasburg, Va., some 85 miles south of Washington, DC, actually contemplated renaming the town Stephen Strasburg, Va., just for a day.

Stephen Strasburg plays for the Washington Nationals, and last night the rookied sensation whiffed eight San Francisco Giants pitcher leading his team to an 8-3 win.

Strasburg's mayor Timothy Taylor did tell "The Washington Post" that he wanted to have a special week in the pitcher's honor and have him come down I-66 to visit the town of antique stores and drive-in diners.

There is an amateur baseball team in nearby Front Royal, Va. The Front Royal Cardinals play in the Valley League at Bing Crosby Stadium. I went to the field to cover the Valley League All-Star Game when I was a reporter in Woodstock, Va., which is 20 miles south of Strasburg. The Cardinals head down I-81 to play in Staunton, Va., tonight---presuming there is no rain.

In other Valley League is also home to the Rockbridge Rapids of Lexington, Va., where my mom sells antiques at Duke's Antiques Mall. I was there a few weeks ago, and I noticed there was an old $2,960 Blue Sunoco gas pump for sale. I imagine it will be there for a while. Tonight, the Rapids have a home game against the team from Covington, Va.

No comments: