Friday, May 22, 2009

Misadventures in Chapel Hill




We were gone for over a week due to a trip to Colorado, but we are back. The details of that trip are on our sister blog "The Daily Vampire."

Yesterday, I had a chance to visit Chapel Hill here in the Tarheel State (well, actually I'm in Virginia at the moment) and even though I was there for four hours the venture had its fair share of highlights and lowlights.

Here are some of them:

*-Ate Adana Kebab at Talulla's on Franklin Street. Tallula's easily has the best Turkish food in North Carolina. I drank a Pabst Blue Ribbon to go with it only to find out after ordering that they in fact carried the Turkish beer Efes Pilsen, which is not available anywhere else in NC (I presume).

*-Saw a barefoot girl walking past me near Tallula's.....hmm, I guess college students can't afford shoes these days.

*-I got a copy of a Lucky Luke comic book/graphic novel at Chapel Hill Comics, one of my favorite places to buy comic books in NC or anywhere else.

*-Saw college students protesting at a KFC in Carrboro.......it's nice to know there are people out there who actually make me look conservative.

*-Got a cd of Joy Division's greatest hits. It's been 24 hours and I have yet to attempt suicide (they are a pretty dark band!).

*-Went into a cigar store that sold pipes shaped like 'male anatomy parts.'

*- Saw a cool t-shirt with Larry Craig which said: "I'm not gay, but my party is."

*- Had coffee at a restaurant and kinda sorta flirted with the waitress who is half my age........I didn't get around to asking her if she had a Facebook account.

*-Got Tom Stoppard's play "Rock and Roll" at a used bookstore. They are now performing it in Chicago and Washington, DC.

*- Saw a band performing in the back of a pickup truck to promote their show this weekend.

*-Saw a copy of "High Times," the marijuana magazine. And, I actually got into a brief argument with a college student about marijuana legalization, which I am not in favor of.........(eyes rolling)

*-Walked by the ever-kewl Varsity Theatre and saw that they were showing "Angels and Demons" just like everybody else.

*-Saw two Che Guevarra posters in two different stores.......I would assume Jesse Helms is rolling in his grave.

*-Decided to bandwagon and get a UNC baseball hat....hey, they are the NCAA men's basketball champs after all!

Lowlights:

*_ Some parking attendant was apparently in the process of getting my license plate number AS I WAS LEAVING the lot. I had overparked there by 43 minutes. He blocked me in. I was going to go to a play from there, but decided just to go home instead. Apparently, I am going to get a parking ticket in the mail.......awkward!

*_ I did not meet a girl half my age to go out with, c'est la vie!

No comments: