Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The Best Dozen Films of 2004

Well, these things are always subject to change. As it is, my top 10 list that I submitted to Film Comment last year for a contest which I won (and, I never win anything!) has seen a complete overhaul. Here it is:

 

1. Sideways (US. dir: Alexander Payne)

2. Distant (Turkey, dir. Nuri Bilge Ceylan)

3. The Return (Russia, dir. Andrei Zyanginstev)

4. Since Otar Left (France/Georgia, dir. Julie Bertucelli)

5. The Aviator (US, dir. Martin Scorsese)

6. Million Dollar Baby (US, dir. Clint Eastwood)

7. Spring, Summer, Fall....(So. Korea, dir. Kim Ki-duk)

8. Before Sunset (US, dir. Richard Linklater)

9. Fahrenheit 9-11 (doc, US, dir. Michael Moore)

10. The Incredibles (ani. US, dir. Brad Bird)

11. Vera Drake (UK, dir. Mike Leigh)

12. Bright Leaves (doc., US, dir. Ross McElwee)

 

'Til I change my mind, which could well be tommorow. There were many other great films from last year, including House of Flying Daggers,Motorcycle Diaries,  Finding Neverland, and Downfall among many, many others......!

No comments: